This project is no longer under active maintenance. Development is now focused on Micrometer-Akka.
This project is a fork of Kamon-Akka. The Kamon team have done a great job and if you are just experimenting with metrics collection, then their tools and documentation are a great starting point. Our internal monitoring tools work better with Prometheus Java Client based metrics than with Kamon based metrics. The use of the Monsanto Kamon-Prometheus bridge was not as smooth as we had hoped.
Other Differences from Kamon-Akka:
- we do not support Kamon TraceContexts, as we currently have no use case for them
- we only support Scala 2.11 and Scala 2.12
- we only build with Akka 2.4 but we test the build with Akka 2.5 too
- we have added Actor Group support (similar support was recently added to kamon-akka) - see description in Metrics section
- records time in seconds as opposed to nanoseconds (the data is still a double) - since 0.8.0
"com.workday" %% "prometheus-akka" % "0.8.5"
There is a sample project at https://github.com/pjfanning/prometheus-akka-sample
To enable monitoring, include the appropriate jar as a dependency and include the following Java runtime flag in your Java startup command (aspectjweaver is a transitive dependency of prometheus-akka):
- differs a little between ForkJoin dispatchers and ThreadPool dispatchers
- ForkJoin: parallelism, activeThreadCount, runningThreadCount, queuedSubmissionCount, queuedTaskCountGauge stealCount
- ThreadPool: activeThreadCount, corePoolSize, currentPoolSize, largestPoolSize, maxPoolSize, completedTaskCount, totalTaskCount
- Only added in v0.8.2
- Actor Count
- Unhandled Message Count
- Dead Letter Count
- One metric per actor instance
- mailboxSize (current size), processingTime, timeInMailbox, message count, error count
- One metric per router instance, summed across all routee actors
- routingTime, timeInMailbox, message count, error count
- Each actor group has its own include/exclude rules and you can define many groups with individual actors being allowed to be included in many groups - the metrics are summed across all actors in the group
- actorCount (current active actors), mailboxSize (current size), processingTime, timeInMailbox, message count, error count